8/14/2009

What Does It All Mean?

So yesterday, black sports fan got their wish. Michael Vick signed with the Philadelphia Eagles. I for one was happy. It was good to see someone who I think got a bad rap, serve his time and at least be able to make a comeback. Going beyond that, I think as an African American community, we need to thank Commissioner Goodell for the message he is sending. Most fans say Goodell is a prick and handing out harsh punishments, such as Vick's suspension from the league, Pacman Jone's suspension from the league, and most recently Dante Stallworth's one year suspension. And yes I agree to an extent, the rulings were harsh. But today, I sort of understand them.

Let's look at Vick. I understand the severity of his case. I understand we cannot be cruel to animals. But Vick kills some dogs (not trying to downplay his case) and gets 2 years, where as Stallworth kills a man and only does 2 months in jail??? So now the lives of our house pets are more significant than humans? How could we allow a murderer to play football, and not a man who served his time and lost just about everything he had, over mistreating some dogs? It just didn't seem right. A family lost a member. A provider, a son, and a father. Not just someone who would play fetch and get the paper.

To me, Vick's reinstatement teaches young incarcerated men that there is a possiblity of coming out of jail and being a contributing part of society. Yes Vick is a special situation, but that does not take away from the possibility that anyone can be more than just a statistic after conviction.

In the case of Stallworth, his suspension teaches young aspiring NFL athletes that the NFL is serious about upholding its image. It will not be a league of thugs, hoodlums, and convicts.

What does it mean for you?




Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thank Goodell? man, you're about to get your Black Card revoked for that statement.. i'm just sayin'..

All-En1 said...

see I knew I would get backlash. But come on, someone needs to slap these guys on the wrist so they keep their lives together. No one else is. You know why I think Stallworth got off so easy? Because it was Miami. You think the city of Miami wants athletes saying, damn cant got to MIA. Everytime I mess up I'll be in jail? Of course they don't. They're the party town. Now in Virginia, they could give a damn about a celebrity or pro athlete. So they'll throw the book at whoever.

Goodell is an ass, I'll admit, but you have to look past it for what else its worth man.