6/06/2009

187

The internet, twitter, bloggers, DJs, doctors, politicians, and etc are buzzing because of Jay-Z's new track , Death of Autotune. Now initially I was not going to comment about it. But since there is so much "hype" around it, I am taking my day off to write about it.

Now personally, I don't think the track is that great. I really haven't enjoyed any of the stuff supposedly on Blueprint 3. Its too American Gangster like, and I feel Jay is reaching for his Reasonable Doubt feeling. And naturally we all want another Reasonable Doubt, but Jay's days of being able to relate to that are gone. Now everyone is saying that Jay needs to give it up because he has nothing left to talk about. To those haters I say, have you stopped listening to Wayne talking about syrup? Jeezy about trapping? TI about rubberbands? Drake about women?? Ok, I didn't think so. Jay's age does not take away from his life experience he puts in his music. Nor has the culture from which he came changed THAT much. Marcy is still Marcy. Jay is still the best (notice I say best, not greatest. See my previous post about Renegades to see why I personally don't give him the crown).

Now to comment on the "death of autotune" Yes, we all hated it[autotune] at first, and yes we all grew to accept it and like it. And do not go around now saying Jigga is dissing Pain, Wayne and Kanye. If you listen to his interview with Flex and Cee, he commends them for its use. And he def aint going to hate on Drake for using it seeing as Drake will probably be the only rookie on the Blueprint 3. Jay is just saying its not for everyone. Just like he said his path and lifestyle was not for everyone. Now I don't expect T-Pain to come out and try to Ether Jay. We don't want to see a T-Pain Jay-Z battle. And none of the major artists that use autotune will dream of going at Hov. But realize now that if anyone else besides those 3 Jay has said are good at it, they will be clowned

Also, people are saying Jay is going at hipsters. He went at them like Swagger Like Us. Jadakiss has gone at them. Styles has gone at them. He's just sayin thats not his idea of hip hop. Thats all the song is. Jay saying, look this is not my hip hop, this is how it was and should be. Just like people said hey I don't like gangsta rap its trash. It's no Kurtis Blow or Sugarhill gang. And we see where NWA is in the history books.

This post went longer than I expected, but all these Jay-Z DOA haters and stans are killing me. Take the song for what it is. Jay-Z's reflection on the state of hip hop and what he sees it for. It's not a diss track. It's not about to start a war in hip hop between hipsters, autotuners, and everyone else. As Jay said, "It's only music."

No comments: